The KAMBEKS!

Sometimes life happens. Not everything always goes the way we planned. Whether it’s long hours at work, increased family responsibilities, mental burnout, a serious injury (…or not so serious injury), there are a many of reasons from you might need to take a break from cycling.

Returning to cycling after a long break is not easy. I know I tried a few times. I made a few mistakes in the past that eventually foiled my comeback. One of the silliest was to compare myself now to the cyclist I was in the past, wishing I still had my past fitness and power. It was frustrating, discouraging and demotivating. 

Start fresh... or restart fresh. Set new goals. For me it's not to compete but enjoy the ride, workout and "ngeteh" with the company. Keeping track of progress helps and consistency is the key to happiness. A small, steady but consistent improvement  is better than hoping to achieve a leap of improvement and risk overexerting myself in the process. 

There will be days where I don't feel like riding and at times, it can be pretty tough wall to bust. My mind could be racing at high RPM to produce excuses and some are pretty darn convincing. I keep reminding myself to stay the course. Nothing comes easy. In the words of Rob Schneider and Adam Sandler, “You Can Do It!”. Once the shoes are on, the ride is on! 

Last Saturday was a good ride day. For the first time, after so many years, we had KAMBEKS, two Dewa Sungai Long, James (Eh-eh) Newman and Najib. Bravo abang-abang seluar ketat. Until the next ride!









Faizol

2 comments: