Feeling like a Newbie: Weekend Ride on Feb 20th & 21st


Saturday @ Clover Leaf

Yes, Like the title, I felt like a newbie starting to ride again after 3 weeks. It's like a Dejavu... where did I hear this again?

Things have been pretty hectic these couple months. Hopefully March would be better as things have started to settle down a bit hence we can all enjoy our weekend cycling like we used to. Don't let the nice sunny and warm weekend morning go to waste...let's burn the rubber to Mantin this weekend!... ada berani?


Saturday, Feb 20th 2010: Sungai Long
Perfect weather, sunny and warm. Sent out several invites last Friday and only managed to get 3 confirmations; Syamsul, Zaha and Farizal.

I started solo ride from Sg. Balak's Toll plaza as Syamsul was running late. I cruised the SILK highway through the Sg Ramal Toll and Bukit Kajang at 28-30 Km/H. From the outset I've made up the ride plan and it was to ride easy. After 3 weeks of rest, I didn't think it's a good idea to crank up like I used to. Besides, it's best to conserve for the Big 'Mac', you never know how windy it could be.

After 40 minutes of toiling through all the small hills that used to be effortless, I reached the Clover Leaf at KJ Perdana. Zaha and Farizal were already there at the RV, watching me struggling at the foothill to the Big 'Mac'. We chatted for a few minute, catching up as it had been a while since our last ride.

Syamsul arrived at the RV about 15-20 minutes later and we continued climbing the Sungai Long Big 'Mac', through the great down hill and three more climbs before we parted ways near Bandar Sg. Long exit where Syamsul took off to Saujana while the rest of us continued through to Cheras Jaya and headed to the Roti Canai spot.

Not bad after 3 weeks? Halfway through I realized that I've forgotten to properly set the Heart Rate monitor and Cycling computer on the bike...crap...No way of knowing the lag time....

Sunday, Feb 21st 2010
Solo Ride to Sungai Long again but this time from start to end. Zaha bailed last minute for a reason cannot be disclosed.

I started a bit late, somewhere at 9.00am. The Sun was already beaming the heat ray like its already 11am. For a moment there I had second thought and about to call it off. Then again, due to the fact that I had "f@#ked up" yesterday's measurement, there's no other way of knowing the time difference between my best time and current performance but to ride.

Yes, the solo ride must go on. Not long after I took off from the Assembly Area (Sg. Balak Toll), I noticed a car was tailing me for few minutes. It was Saipol and obviously he was not going out with his MTB as he had a co-pilot besides him. Another domestic problem I presume....

I cycled my way through the heat steadily up until the Big 'Mac's foothill. While I was struggling to keep my pace climbing the Big Mac's peak, my cellphone rang continuously. This had inadvertently raked my pedaling pattern at the point where concentration, focus and consistency were dire.

As a result,
my pedaling consistency went haywire and had to settle for 9KM/h to pass through the Sungai Long peak or the Big 'Mac' as Zack would call it.

It was Zam asking if is was cycling today? Apparently Zack and him rode through Sg. Long route earlier. Damn...I should have gone out early and could have caught up with them. I could use some drag here at the peak.

Overall my time dropped by 3 minutes with sore thigh and calf. Not so good and not so bad...

Good ride.

Saturday Ride Pics







My ole stead...










Near the Big "Mac"s peak










Faizol

No comments: